Yesterday I was just thinking about all the things I would miss and not miss about Seychelles when I leave, so I thought, why not make a list?
So here are my 10 dislikes.
1. The fact that there are no fresh produce on this island. No fresh fruits, vegetables or meat. The meat is all frozen (expires in 2014), and the freshest fruits they have are oranges and apples; the vegetables are tomatoes and lettuce. I really miss my fresh vegetables from China- even my broccoli from Switzerland!
2. How strong the sun is. I am still getting horrible rashes if I am out in the sun for even 10 minutes, and they start to itch like crazy. If I don’t have rashes, I have these permanent white spots on my arms (which I think are scars).
3. No AC in my apartment :(
4. The local Seychellois guys honking or calling me “baby” when I pass them. I think this is extremely disrespectful to women.
5. It isn’t safe to walk around at night, so I can’t go out to eat alone
6. Public transportation system here (bus), although existent, does not have a timetable. So if I wanted to go to the other side of the island, I could be stuck there for God knows how long. It also stops running after 6pm, so if I wanted to go out for dinner, well, that wouldn’t work, would it?
7. No shopping malls, no place to hang out indoors, no coffee shops. No pharmacies, no supermarkets, no panty liners!
8. Speaking about wifi, almost nonexistent wifi at the staff accommodation
9. Sun flies at the beaches, so you can’t stay there for long or you have horrible bite marks all over your body
10. How when I sweat at work, it stays and I can feel it everywhere. Especially on my butt.
Now that the bad parts are out, here are 10 things I love about this island.
1. The sunny weather, the fresh air in the morning, the birds chirping when I wake up
2. When it rains, it RAINS, and it cools down the whole island
3. The sky at different intervals throughout the day
4. The clear blue sea that has so many different colors, you will never be able to stop staring at it
5. The fact that you can hitchhike when you are walking home from the shop, or people will offer you rides
6. The beaches!
7. How damn chill this place is- I don’t feel like I’m wasting my time at all
8. I don’t have to be self conscious here about anything, so I can wear whatever I want and I don’t feel like I’m being judged
9. You feel like you’re in a jungle all the time!
10. The stars at night.