It starts with 10 ants crawling around the upper back of your throat- almost as if they are at the area right above your tonsils. You could reach your thumb in and press on the area, but the pain and irritation does not compare to that of when you are swallowing your own saliva or just air. Yet, you cannot stop doing just that. It’s as if you don’t want to believe these ants are back, making you squirm with discomfort and swallow with all your might to make that feeling gone.
But they stay. In fact, from 9am to 9pm, these ants have multiplied to stampeding all around the back of your throat. You swallow and you swallow; you eat and drink water to try and make them go away, but they don’t. You sleep from 3:30pm to 5pm, then again from 8pm to 9pm, but the ants are still there, frolicking in your throat, digging into every inch of red flesh they step on. Every time you swallow, it’s as of these ants are clinging onto your throat for dear life, refusing to fall into the depth of darkness.
Then you admit the inevitable- you are about to catch the flu. Or I am, at least.
This sucks. The last time I was sick, I noted it down in my agenda. That was February 14, 2013- 5 months ago. I guess it is true when they say you need to get sick at least twice a year for your immune system to boost up.. or something.. Do they even say that?
I am racking my brain to think of how the hell I could have caught a flu. These are the possibilities that I came up with:
1. Yesterday in our MCW class, we were provoking each other. We had to get really close to our partners and yell in their faces. My buddy had a cold then, and she was really into pissing me off so she stood pretty close to my face. I think a few drops of spit landed on my lips, left cheek, and eyes. Maybe that is how her flu was passed onto me? (Not blaming you, Xiao Wei! It’s just the first thing I thought of :P)
2. I took out my wisdom tooth on Monday, which left a big vulnerable, bacteria susceptible gap in my mouth. Maybe from eating all the hawker center food on Tuesday somehow made me sick?
3. My body has finally settled down after almost 3 weeks of being in one country; I was traveling too much from April to June (Seychelles, St. Tropez, Amsterdam, Seychelles, Singapore), and my body is finally “rested” enough to get sick. Or does that not make any sense at all? I don’t know!
4. It is just time for me to get sick. Not only do I have a stupid scratchy throat that I know will turn worse, my nose is starting to run as well.
What do ya’ll think? I really have no idea. I don’t believe in taking western medicine at all, and I did not have my Chinese remedies with me. I should have drank hot water or tea, but decided against that since I was already super hot from being in Singapore and in a house with no AC. I went downstairs just now in an attempt to find hot water, but we did not have any. I’d have to boil it in a kettle and I was too lazy to do that.
But then my sweet sweet grandma told me to gargle with some salt water- she actually got out of her chair to show me which salt to use! She told me to swallow a few sips (which I did not do…), and do the same tomorrow morning.
So this is what I will do tomorrow:
1. Gargle with salt water right after I wake up
2. Boil hot water and drink the hell out of that
3. Swallow those damn ants away so I can go out at night!
On the bright side, I had a coconut today!
I told myself it’d make me feel better. I would like to believe that its healing powers are still churning around in my body, and tomorrow I will wake up with all the ants gone!